Does anyone really need another tie or holiday sweater? We didn’t think so! Whether you are building up your own holiday wish list or looking for the perfect gift for a whisky lover in your life, here are a few ideas that any connoisseur of fine spirits is sure to appreciate.
- The gift that keeps on giving. That would be whisky, of course! However it can be intimidating to buy for someone else, especially if that someone has finicky tastes or already has a sizeable collection of whiskies. Consider giving gift cards to a local whisky shop or an online retailer as well. Otherwise, consider our other whisky aficionado suggestions.
- Glasses. Whisky lovers usually have a set of glasses already, but there is always room for more. In addition, they may not have the right kinds of glasses. Traditional tumblers are a given, but brandy snifters are the preferred glass for whisky drinkers who love to savor the nose of their selection. Glencairn glasses are considered the best whisky drinking glasses and are sure to be appreciated by the aficionado in your life.
- A water jug. Many whisky drinkers add a little water to their drink to open up new flavors, but fresh tap water is not always the best choice for this. Tap water tends to be chlorinated, so it needs to sit for several minutes so the chlorine can evaporate. Also, both bottled and tap water tend to be too cold; room temperature is often the best choice. A small and decorative jug can be put to good use in a whisky drinker’s bar.
- Coasters. As a person builds up their whisky collection, they will often begin sampling from it more often. This can lead to ruined tabletops. Most connoisseurs have neat freak tendencies and would love a nice set of coasters to keep in their drinking area. If the coasters are whisky related, all the better.
- Boston shaker. Even the biggest single malt snob usually enjoys a whisky cocktail every now and then. Having a nice Boston shaker can make the experience feel a little more deluxe. Like coasters and water jugs, these come in a variety of styles and price points, ensuring that you can get a highly personal gift without breaking your budget.
- Whisky barrels. Whisky barrels are actually very handy, and they can make beautiful decorations. They can serve as bar tables, end tables or simply as decorative accents. You can also find furniture made from whisky barrels that is both beautiful and sturdy. These make great gifts, although you will need to ensure that your gift matches the style of the recipient before making such a large investment.
It can be challenging to find the right gift for someone with discerning taste, but hopefully these suggestions at least give you a few ideas to start with. Whisky drinking can be an expensive hobby, so the person you are buying for is sure to appreciate both the thought behind you gift and the practicality of it as well.